Egg replacing tips
I have a few of my own quick tips to help you understand vegan baking a little bit more!
Here are My top tips to egg replacement baking success:
There are so many egg re-placers to consider when creating a dish or replacing an egg in a recipe.
The experience can be overwhelming and for that I have put together A few of my favorite go to conversions for specific tasks.
- Flax seed powder is great in cookies when replacing eggs, Use 1 tablespoon flax seed powder with 45ml water for the equivalent of 1 egg.
- Cooked chickpea flour custard, flavored and seasoned with various spices such as garlic, onion, nutritional yeast, nutmeg, salt and pepper can result in a delicious quiche filling base. My Favorite Filling is a spicy roasted madras with whatever veggies are around. Tofu is also great to experiment with for the perfect quiche like filling.
- Apple cider vinegar and soy milk curdle Or egg free mayo make the best liquid and egg Replacement in cakes,scones & Breads.
- To crumb coat Pieces of veggies like cauliflower or mushrooms, use chickpea flour. Cut your veggie in bite sized pieces place some flour in one bowl. In another bowl place 1/4 cup chickpea flour with 3/4 cup water, whisk together and In the third bowl add your crumb mix. Season everything as you like dip your veggie in your flour THEN in your egg-y mixture and THEN in your crumbs, double coat if you’d like. Deep fry or bake as you please!
- Make vegan royal icing by replacing the egg whites with equal parts chickpea Brine and add some glucose for extra shine. Tightly seal and keep in the fridge or freezer until ready to use. Royal icing is great for small cake details, flooding cookies or making sprinkles. A more in detailed blog coming soon!
- When Brushing pastry to be baked in the oven, Puff pastry Or Phyllo pastry, mix a teaspoon of B-well Mayo with a few drops of soy milk. This will result in a dark golden crispy crust on your pastry.
Bonus chef tip:
Bicarbonate of soda and vinegar React similarly to eggs in aerated bakes such as cakes, muffins and scones. Simply add a 1/4 tsp of bicarb per cup of flour with the dry ingredients and add about 2 Tablespoons vinegar to your wet ingredients. I use white vinegar or Apple cider Vinegar.
Try It and let us know your experience!
Just for fun!
If you’re craving a scrambled egg like Meal Tofu is your best replacement at the moment.
There are many ways of preparing it and many things you can add to it… Just like “regular” scrambled eggs!
If you don’t like soy , alternatives can be steamed & Grated Cauliflower, Chickpeas Flour, moong beans Or Organ Scrambled egg alternative.
Here’s a quick recipe For scrambled Tofu On sourdough: https://wakeandbake.co.za/recipes/scrambled-tofu-on-sourdough/
Ready in 5min
This is a versatile recipe and can be adjusted to suit your taste.
- Add mixed peppers with the onion for a colourful look and crunchy texture
- ½ tsp curry paste for a spicy finish
- some nutritional yeast for a cheezie finish
Let me know in the comments if you’ve tried this recipe.
Would love your feedback!
Here are two blogs I found that go into some epic detail check them out!
vegan baking success
Great tips to airy egg-less cakes